Recent and current activities of 3D on behalf of Economy and Human Rights:
· In December 2005, 3D published a briefing on the impact of FTA rules on access to medicines and children’s rights in Thailand: “International trade, health and children’s rights – Thailand”
· Joint event with FIDH (International Federation for Human Rights) and IATP (Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy) in parallel to the WTO Ministerial Conference in Hong Kong on 14 December 2005.
· Study Session on Intellectual Property and Human Rights on 23-24 September 2005.
· Publishing the Practical Guide to the WTO is a concise and simply-worded guide to the World Trade Organization (WTO). It is unique in providing concrete examples of how trade and trade rules developed in the WTO and elsewhere can affect human rights, as well as detailed reference and contact information for those wishing to learn more about how to undertake work relating to trade.
More about the Practical Guide
· Raising awareness amongst human rights professionals about how trade rules affect human rights. This work currently focuses on bringing country-specific information to the UN human rights treaty supervisory bodies about trade-related intellectual property rules and access to medicines.
· Commissioning and publishing the Thread (Trade, Human Rights and the Economy – Action upDates) series of topical factsheets on specific trade-related topics, designed for human rights advocates.
· Publishing and disseminating information on trade and human rights. 3D provides expertise on trade and human rights to groups around the world, on an ongoing basis, in response to requests or in areas where we feel that more information is needed. Download the Practical Guide chapter by chapter on this web page:
· Publishing Policy Briefs on Human Rights, for developing country trade officials and development NGOs, on how the human rights framework can be a useful tool for ensuring that trade rules are developed and implemented in a way that is equitable, ethical and respects human rights.
Read more on this page.