To those who think the United States should intervene in Syria, remember this is the same United States that:
- - is still deeply involved in two failed wars of aggression in Iraq and Afghanistan that have lasted for over a decade without coming to a conclusion;
- - is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands, if not over a million Iraqis and Afghans through aerial bombardments, night raids, artillery shelling, ground missions and genocidal sanctions;
- - used depleted uranium and white phosphorous munitions in Iraq leading to a sharp increase in cancerous birth defects in areas like Fallujah;
- - knowingly aided Saddam Hussein with intelligence while being completely aware that he was using chemical weapons against Iran;
- - has systematically tortured and/or overseen the torture of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, Bagram prison, Abu Ghraib, and numerous CIA rendition and black sites;
- - is engaged in an illegal, vicious and indiscriminate drone war in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia which has murdered numerous women, children and non-combatants with total casualty estimates ranging around 3,000-5,000;
- - bankrolled (and refused to condemn) the Israeli army as it used white phosphorous shells to attack civilians at Al-Quds hospital and a U.N. compound housing refugees in Gaza in 2009;
- - continues to offer diplomatic cover for the brutal and expansionist Israeli occupation and provides weapons to the Israeli military as it carries out further crimes against Palestinians;
- - actively supported dictator Hosni Mubarak and his torturous military regime with weapons for over three decades;
- - is now complicit in the massacres being committed by the very same Egyptian military under the coup government led by General Abdul-Fattah el-Sisi which has murdered over 1000 people in cold blood in the last month;
- - remains tightly allied with the monarchies in Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain in the suppression of their populations;
- - armed and trained fundamentalists forces, including the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan, that eventually gave birth to Al-Qaeda and similar groups;
- - backed former Tunisian dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali by sending 12 million in “security assistance” to suppress the popular uprising at the start of the Arab Spring revolutions;
- - has left Libya, and consequently Mali, in a state of chaos after a 2011 supposed “humanitarian intervention” to remove Muammar el-Qaddafi;
- - pushed the Pakistani military from 2007 -2010 to carry out dreadfully unaccountable operations in the SWAT, FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa that led to the death of 1,300 civilians and the internal displacement of nearly 4 million Pakistanis;
- - is the #1 weapons exporter in the world and does not consider the importing countries’ records on human rights or democracy a relevant factor;
- - currently maintains stockpiles of nuclear, chemical and other banned weapons, such as cluster bombs;
- - regularly persecutes and incarcerates its own dissenters, war resisters, and whistleblowers;
- - does not want you to remember the horrors of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Agent Orange and the Gulf War Syndrome.
The many atrocities committed by the Assad regime since the start of the Syrian revolution are absolutely unacceptable and the stories emerging from the country are completely heartbreaking. And in fairness, the war crimes committed by the many rebel militias operating in Syria, though lesser in number and intensity, are gruesome and also unacceptable … //
… With the United States hypocritical and self-serving track record, another blunderous intervention will only make things worse.
(full text with many hyper-links).
Glimmerglass Intercepts Undersea Cable Traffic for Spy Agencies, on CorpWatch.org, by Pratap Chatterjee, August 21, 2013;
Samsung Sued for $109 Million For Labor Violations in Amazon, on CorpWatch.org, by Richard Smallteacher, August 17, 2013.