- Cyprus ready to be hub for Syrian evacuees: Cyprus says it will not be military base for possible Syria strike, but offers humanitarian assistance, on AlJazeera, August 30, 2013. Listen video, 2.17 min: The expectation of a military strike against Syria and the build-up of forces in the eastern Mediterranean are of particular concern in Cyprus …;
- U.S. Prepares to Strike Syria Over Alleged Chemical Weapons as British Vote Not to Back Int’l Action, 3.56 min, uploaded on YouTube by democracynow, August 30, 2013;
- Government Assessment of the Syrian Government’s Use of Chemical Weapons, on White House.gov, Press Release, August 21, 2013;
- Rage and Refuge: German Asylum System Hits Breaking Point, on Spiegel Online International, by Charles Hawley and Charly Wilder, August 30, 2013 (12 Photos in the Gallery): Germany has recently seen a significant rise in the number of asylum seekers arriving in the country. Its shelters are overwhelmed and opposition to new ones has recently turned ugly. Refugees themselves argue that the system is broken …;
- Canada once again flies the U.S. flag, on Axis of Logic, by Jim Miles, Aug 29, 2013;
- Deposed regimes in court: The trial of high-profile symbols of the two ousted presidents Hosni Mubarak and Mohamed Morsi opened this week in Cairo, on Al-Ahram weekly online, by Gamal Essam El-Din, August 28, 2013.
(See also: Welcome to our new blog: politics for the 99%).