the Euro-BRICS rapprochement at the service of the system’s upgrade or as a matrix of a new model? (Strategic note, derived from the 4th Euro-BRICS seminar (Moscow, May 23-24th 2013) – Published on Europe2020, intern on July 4, 2013, made public on September 4, 2013.
The crisis of legitimacy faced by the institutions of the global governance system set up after 1945 is resulting in the collapse of the old framework of international cooperation, with apparently nothing ready to replace it, besides a myriad of more or less successful regional integration projects. The supra-national regional entities that are currently being forged, created in a context of increasing emergency, are indeed the building blocks of tomorrow’s multipolar world … //
… From the necessary reform of the international monetary system to the Euro-BRICS project:
- In March 2009, based on three years of accurate anticipations on the global systemic crisis, LEAP/E2020 called on the G20 leaders to rally forcefully in favour of bold reforms addressing the root causes of the crisis. This open letter’s principal recommendation signed by our late-lamented director of studies and strategy Franck Biancheri with full page publication in the Financial Times International Edition, focused on the reform of the international monetary system, considered key to the crisis.
- Since then, LEAP has repeatedly stated that “the US dollar and the United States’ economy were no longer able to be the pillars of economic, financial and monetary world order” and it was a matter of “creating an international reserve currency (which could be called the Global) based on a basket of currencies matching the world’s major economies”.
- Since then also, LEAP has continued to contribute to creating the conditions for the initiation of such a reform: the G20’s identification, amongst all international bodies, as the appropriate platform; targeting the G20 as the most likely to adopt “courageous” agendas (those welcomed outside the western zone especially); launch of a strategic rapprochement programme between the Eurozone and the BRICS with the aim in particular of creating the conditions for a new decisional balance at the core of the G20, etc.
- Within the framework of this Euro-BRICS project initiated in 2010, LEAP organises high level seminars involving academics and senior officials from the Eurozone and the BRICS; the publication of reports, summaries and strategy briefs; “lobbying” work with the governments involved designed to introduce this strategic Euro-BRICS theme and especially to advance the idea of a Euro-BRICS Summit, the principal recommendation from the 4th seminar held in Cannes in September 2012.
Consequences of international institutions’ disintegration on the Euro-BRICS project: … //
… Can the international institutions be reformed? Is it worthwhile reforming them? … //
… The Euro-BRICS as the matrix for a new world governance:
- This concept of a matrix for a renewed global governance is fruitful. By way of proof, apply it to monetary reform. Rather than calling for the creation of a global currency with no discretion to impose it, create a Euro-BRICS currency (or even just an index) between Europeans and the BRICS based on our six currencies (Euro, Rand, Real, Renminbi, Rupee, Rouble) coordinated by a Euro-BRICS monetary secretariat. This flexible currency/index, could be used by those economic players who so wish. A currency/index which upsets no one but which could quickly prove its stabilising power. This template currency/index could be designed from the outset as able to be expanded to other currencies following strict conditions and being designed to be transformed in due course, if it proved its usefulness, into a global currency.
- As regards trade, one could imagine the creation of a Euro-BRICS trade facilitation secretariat and avoid the rat of a free exchange partnership which nobody wants and yet continues to be imposed in the ordinary course of globalisation. For example in terms of energy, a Euro-BRICS framework agreement inspired by the ECSC could be negotiated.
- These few practical steps allow one to see that the Euro-BRICS partnership can provide a space for combined decision-making freedom in a huge area for truly effective action for the construction of a new framework of global governance. The Euro-BRICS aren’t the whole world but they make up a not-insignificant part by their demographic numbers, their close fit with each other, their diversity, their common interests and destiny, the areas for exchange and the flows they represent – it’s not the BRICS alone and even less so the Eurozone alone. The Euro-BRICS can therefore be the laboratory of a new global governance, quickly transforming decisions into action which the institutions of the 20th century are no longer capable of doing-establishing themselves solely by the effectiveness of their solutions in contrast to the do-nothing attitude prevailing elsewhere.
- A matrix of this type is able to lead the world towards a model of modern governance, supple, capable of integrating the vast diversity of national and supranational entities which have covered the world these last few decades, a decentralised model running on the basis of all these entities being connected with each other ad hoc via simple secretariats or agile authorities coordinating a particular subject, a multi-faceted networking of all of the new pillars of today’s world … //
… links and/or 5 pdf-downloads.
(This document is the sole responsibility of LEAP2020).
David Rockefeller’s Shocking Confession, 0.31 min, uploaded by StopTheRobbery2, Nov 7, 2010:
websites: EndAllDisease.com, and StopTheRobbery.com. Feel free to Repost, Share, Favourite and Rate … (my comment: look, this man can speak frankly, because he believes that none of us will be able to stop the machine, means unable to change the structures. Is this really true? Are we too silly to create a just world? Are we too feary to leave the known to go to the unknown? – Heidi) …