Electoral watchdog endorses disputed Iran vote

Published on Google-News, by Jay Deshmukh, June 26, 2009.

TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran’s electoral watchdog insisted on Friday that this month’s disputed presidential vote was the cleanest ever, rejecting opposition allegations of fraud that have brought hundreds of thousands onto the streets.

The Group of Eight leading powers called on Iran to put a halt to post-election violence and resolve the crisis “soon” but pointedly did not condemn the Islamic regime at a foreign ministers’ meeting in Italy.

“After 10 days of examination, we did not see any major irregularities,” Guardians Council spokesman Abbasali Kadkhodai told the official IRNA news agency.

“We have had no fraud in any presidential election and this one was the cleanest election we have had. I can say with certainty that there was no fraud in this election” … 

… Despite the restrictions on the foreign media, images of police brutality have still spread worldwide via amateur video over the Internet. One clip in particular of the fatal shooting of young woman demonstrator Neda Agah-Soltan has come to symbolise the regime’s iron-fisted response to the protests.

Arash Hejazi, a doctor who tried to save her, told the BBC the shooter was identified by the crowd as a Basij militiaman.

Hejazi, who was near Neda at that time of her death earlier this week, said: “We heard a gunshot. And Neda was standing one metre (yard) away from me … We were just standing and all of a sudden I turned back and I saw blood gushing out of Neda’s chest,” adding she died in “less than a minute.”

Although the street protests have died down, Iran’s rulers are still facing a major crisis, with cracks emerging within the regime itself.

Dissident cleric Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri — once the designated successor to revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini — warned Iran’s rulers on Thursday that their suppression of opposition protests could threaten the very foundations of the Islamic republic.

Conservative parliament speaker Ali Larijani and more than 100 MPs meanwhile boycotted a victory dinner hosted by Ahmadinejad, press reports said.

And on Friday defeated conservative candidate Mohsen Rezai charged that the events of the past fortnight had damaged the authority of the Islamic regime.

“More important than the elections, people’s lives and property and the credibility of the Islamic republic have been damaged in recent weeks and we must act to stop that,” said Rezai, a former commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards. (full text).

Comments are closed.