Published on WOMENS’S ORGANISATION FOR MANAGING AND EDUCATIONAL NEEDS, W.O.M.E.N.
Name of the Project:
- Development Programme for Women of slum areas of Hyderabad Phase VI;
- Project Area: 20 Slums of Asifnagar (Karwan);
- Duration (From / To): Oct 2004 – Sept 2007;
- Status (ongoing / completed): Ongoing;
- Source of funding / Supported by: EedBonn;
- Target group: Women (18-45 years);
- Goal: To facilitate socio-economic measures to develop poor slum women.
- To impart education & training to women/girls with regard to their economic growth by way of identifying their hidden talents, bringing motivation and awareness towards their rights and duties thereby promoting social entrepreneurship;
- To extend knowledge and information to women/girls in respect of family welfare, nutrition, health and environment and also to assist them in forming cooperatives, self-help groups, Mahila Mandals, tiny industries, and more.
Strategy: Development in slum women is targeted through motivation and awareness building and entrepreneurship.
- Personality Development:
- Adult Literacy, Spoken English, Coaching Classes, & Personality Grooming,
- Community Development:
- Health & Hygiene: Preventive Health, Camps, Street Shows, Labs, Clinic & Voluntary Counselling, Diagnostic Centre (Leprosy, HIV/AIDS & T.B);
- Environment Protection & Upkeep : Rainwater- Harvesting, Water Tanks, Tree Plantation, Kitchen Garden & Cleaning of Lanes;
- Gender Development:
- Self-Identity & Awareness, Awareness Camps, Workshops, Counselling & Guidance, Talks for Adolescent Girls, Capacity Buildilng of CBOs.
- Vocational Skill Development:
- Skill Training Courses: Medi Lab, Tailoring & Embroidery, Cooking & Fast Food, Beauty & Skin Care, Computer Technology,
- Crash Courses: Candle, Papad, Chalk-Piece, Consumer Chemicals, Fruits & Vegetable Preservation, Henna Design;
- Women Entrepreneurship: Petty Trades, Shops or Small Businesses;
- Organizational Development:
- Staff Improvement & Counselling, Public Relations & Fund Raising, Schemes for Self-Reliance (Sara Boutique: Tailoring & Fashion Design, Nikhar Beauty Parlour & Gym, E-Service Point, Rexine Works);
- Innovations in Strategy, Activities:
- Counselling (Family, Adolescent girls, Youth);
- Skill Courses (mobile).
Number of beneficiaries: 22,460 (approximate).