(Each week a global thinker from the worlds of philosophy, science, psychology or the arts is given a minute to put forward a radical, inspiring or controversial idea – no matter how improbable – that they believe would change the world) – Published on BBC future / the 60 second Idea, August 16, 2012.
This week geneticist Frances Ashcroft says that everyone should give up eating for a day a week.
- “My bright idea is for those in the developed world to fast one day a week. Three hundred and thirty six million people worldwide now have type 2 diabetes.
- This is not good because it increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and amputation.It causes one death every seven seconds. In the UK alone we spend a staggering million pounds an hour in treating the disease – almost 10% of the healthcare budget.
- The recent explosion in type 2 diabetes is driven by the obesity epidemic and the best way to solve the problem is for everyone to maintain a sensible weight.
- We all know what we have to do – eat less and exercise more. But most of us don’t find it easy to calculate calories or eat the right sized portion of food.
- Fasting is cheap, simple and has a long tradition in many cultures … (full text).
- (My comment:
- Let me add a true 20 years old story – it was 1992 when I received lessons in alternative medecine. One teacher was a medical researcher from Hoffmann LaRoche (one of the big pharmaceutical industries in Basel/Switzerland). Their research: WHAT STIMULATES MOST HUMAN’S IMMUNE SYSTEM? He told how they tested all immaginable possibilities – during years.
- The result: 48 hours fasting stimmulates the best of best our immunitarian system. If you fast more, then the defense goes back again, but up to 48 hours your body will be as top fit as it can.
- Guess what! Hoffmann-LaRoche NEVER published this result. No chance to make monney with that.
- Since then when a flu is comming up, I quickly stop eating, drink much, and the flu is going away before it realy possesses my body. No necessity to vaccinate against anywhat). Heidi.